Saturday, December 16, 2006

Happy Hannukah!


I had fun making this paper menorah with my niece as well as a small version of as a Christmas tree ornament (how's that for multiculturalism?).

Whatever you choose to celebrate, enjoy. Just do yourself a favor and stay out of the mall. Today is the last scheduled day of business for Equal Writes bookstore in Long Beach, one of my favorite 'brick and mortar' stores. Independent bookstores are a very special place, and I'd like to think that we won't lose any more of them if we don't have to.

Downtown Los Angeles, as it happens, just had a grand opening yesterday for a brand new indie bookstore, Metro Books. I didn't hear about it until after it had happened, or I would have tried to get there; I understand that award-winning author Naomi Hirahara gave one of their first readings.

No comments: