Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Greetings from the police state of Los Angeles!

Whatever gripes I might have about the current state of journalism, at least I don't go around clubbing reporters or shooting them with rubber bullets. The LAPD veterans still don't seem to understand that their behavior looks like it came from the worst of the dictatorships around the world.
Kudos to Beth Dunlop for her inimitable insight into the saga of the Coconut Grove Playhouse, on the heals of her riff on the Carnival Center, in the March and April editions of Ocean Drive. Few and far between are the architectural critics who can so knowledgeably champion responsible development. Architectural criticism is so much more than commenting on the veneer. In Miami, to be against the construction of yet another crass condo tower in a flat real estate market ...well, it's nothing short of treason. Barbara Capitman would be proud.
If you still had dry eyes at the end of last night's Gilmore Girls, then get outta my kitchen! And Veronica Mars is back, too! How cool is that? Gee... am I allowed to be watching this? VM has been one of the best written programs on television as far as I'm concerned, so excuse me if I don't watch anything where a contestant can get voted off.

No comments: