Thursday, December 14, 2006

Because jewelry is no good after an earthquake or hurricane


I've had to limit how much of the coverage surrounding the James Kim tragedy I watch. Yet, at the back of my mind is the fact that for all those years in scouting, and my Dad's stint in Search and Rescue during his Air Force service, more times than I care to admit, I've gone out hiking without telling anyone where I'd be, or without having any emergency supplies in my car.

Last summer, a park ranger and I exchanged incredulous glances at each other as a seriously dehydrated biker in 100-plus degree temperatures had come up to us in search of water.

A few holidays ago, Dad gave each of us one of these Red Cross backpacks (we thought was kind of funny at the time). Now I know it's a very sincere gift to tell someone that you really care about them.

No comments: