Thursday, January 04, 2007

Now THIS is the way to start off New Year... or the first day of the rest of your life

Wesley Aubrey photo by Felix Bryant

In a philosophy class once, I believe we had a discussion as to whether mankind could act in complete altruism.

I guess I have the irrefutable proof, that despite of some of the actions of some people, humankind has a chance.

I was all set to be ticked off at the Rosie-Donald feud (did he really just insinuate that we were all degenerate?) when I heard the news story of Wesley Aubrey's leaping off a subway platform to save a young man as a train was approaching the station.

So maybe I can't convince all my neighbors to recycle their garbage properly. I can take care to set an example, as imperfectly as I will, by my own small, individual actions. And once in a while, I may fail to hit the mark I set for myself. Yet I know what good humankind is capable of. It does happen-and I can tell the naysayers that there is irrefutable proof.

No comments: