Wednesday, January 24, 2007

When saying, "I'm sorry," by itself alone doesn't cut it...


Jay Leno joked after Isaiah Washington's apology for his homophobic slur that 'he ought to be a entering rehab any minute now.' And now word is, that he has. I know that decades ago a group of sincere activists started a group for white people to examine and overcome their racism, but I wasn't aware of the existence of Homophobia Anonymous.

From the news stories of late, that recovery facility has tapped into a growth market with a lot of potential.

I've said some dumb things myself in the past that had me wondering, what the heck did I say that? There's probably not a human alive who can't say the same thing.

There were activists in the sixties who used to say something to the effect that the wringing of hands and all was well and good, but one's actions would said say more to their sincerity. As they say in twelve step groups, Washington has taken the first, major step in recovery by admitting he was wrong and attempting to do with it. And what if there is no Homophobia Anonymous, and Washington has entered a facility for good old fashioned run of the mill chemical dependency? In vino veritas.

If Washington completes his treatment, at least he won't have to fear every plate or drink a waiter brings him from now on. Maybe he might even end up bunkmates with Michael Richards or Mel Gibson or any one of the other number of high profile personalities who have publicly regretted the words they spoke just a little bit too late.

Too bad there's such a list of people I'd like to push into intervention.

I've said some dumb things myself in the past that had me wondering, why the heck did I say that? There's probably not a human alive who can't say the same thing.

Assuming all goes the way it should at whatever facility Washington's in, it's one down, a couple hundred million to go...

No comments: