Wednesday, November 02, 2005

I'm Mad as Hell, and I'm Not Going to Take it Anymore

I have to really be judicious about reading about the religious right in the news with my breakfast. I'm apt to forget I'm a pacifist one of these days. What ever possessed us (as a society) to have this misguided sense of fairness in allowing Donald Wildmon and Lou Sheldon and their ilk free reign to wreak havok ...and enrich themselves in the process--at our expense--has to be subject to some kind of dialogue. It's one thing to allow free speech and tolerance in an open society, but another to let people dismiss entire groups of people as 'evil' or not worth living --or to actually call for physical harm in some instances.

There have been plenty of times I've had the satisfaction of watching them hang themselves from their own petard, but not nearly often (or quick) enough, thank you very much.

I just read how the effects of the religious right on science education are causing the United States to fall behind in the tech world. It isn't hard to imagine a world in the not too distant future where American women have to wear burkas as the Muslim world progresses into the future.

Dad had noted that while he was in the Kingdom, the Saudis were actively planning for a future after the last barrel of oil would be pumped out of the ground and they would be major players on the world economic scene. Would Europe or Asia shed a tear if the late, great American empire were to sink back into itself, leaving them to dictate the terms of the world's markets?

Just wait'll I get my coffee... then I'll really get started. Not exactly the meditative state I planned to be in before speaking tonight.

No comments: