Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Santa Anas prompt yet another rant...


Have the corporate suits behind "Lost" sold their soul to American Express? I can't remember a time when television went to such lengths to tie in an advertiser with 'exclusive' online outtakes and special scenes.

I guess as far as they're concerned, minors and anyone without an American Express card can just shove it...




Rule Number One: Never interrupt the flow of the narrative. American Express ads are not exempt. Their commercials stood out like pigs feet at Passover. Bad enough
all the networks are hurting so badly that they flood their successful programs with ads for their other programs (or their damn themepark in Anaheim).

Rule Number Two: Mediocre commercials thrown into a fast-paced, high quality program do not elevate the quality of the commercial. Or make us want the drek that they're hawking. It might even make them seem more shoddy and two dimensional than they actually are -- if that's possible.

Plus, I might throw my television at the cats howling on the fence, and I'll miss the whole rest of the season. It isn't like I don't have enough books to read that I might just give up on network television altogether.

If this is how the networks respond to losing viewers, then it serves them right if people find other things to do do with their televisions than to watch their programming. I guess while I feel sorry for all the employees getting the boot this week at NBC/Universal, don't tell me that they didn't have some idea of what kind of jerks they'd be working for.

I'm beginning to wonder if the networks are in charge of Bush's "stay the course" Iraq policies...

Last night, as always, I got sick to my stomach watching the tribute to fallen members of the American military in Iraq aired at the end of The Lehrer Report on PBS. Most of them are just so damn young. It's sick. And no one is posting the names and photographs of the dead Iraqi civilians...


...and can you believe that I didn't even have my cafe cubano this morning? Imagine what missive I would have sent off to the network presidents if I was on caffeine...

No comments: