Friday, December 23, 2005

LA: 86 degrees Chicago 30 degrees NY 33 degrees

I think I can live with those temperatures... as long as I don't have to endure any long lines at the mall!

I need a scroll to go with the mezzuzah I got for my sister's new house--as soon as I find out what color they're going to paint the doorway.

At sunset, the little white lights on the palm trees in the median of Santa Monica Boulevard are shimmering (from the rising heat of the day?)... Neat.

I cannot get this song out of my head! It has been on an endless loop for two days now! They had Nina Simone singing part of her version on a perfume commercial that has been playing the last few days. It so happens that it was one of the two records I bought in Paris when I went for my 21st birthday (although that was the Santa Esmerelda version). It was the most popular song in Europe that week.


Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

Baby, you understand me now
If sometimes you see I'm mad
Doncha know that no one alive can always be an angel?
When everything goes wrong you see some bad

Well, I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.

Ya know sometimes baby I'm so carefree
With a joy that that's hard to hide
Then sometimes it seems again that all I have is worry
And then you burn to see my other side

But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.

If seem edgy,
I want you to know
That I never meant to take it out on you
Life has it's problems
And I get more than my share
But that's my one thing I never mean to do

'Cos I love you
Oh baby
I'm just human
Don't you know I have faults like anyone?

Sometimes I find myself alone regretting
Some little foolish thing
Some simple thing that I've done

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh, Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.

I try so hard
So don't let me be misunderstood.


Not exactly your typical holiday carol.. but if I can find it at the mall (the first store I went to was sold out of the Nina Simone greatest hits CD) I'm gonna drive the neighbors crazy playing it, along with my other holiday favorites, "It's Christmas and We're Jewish," "Have Yourself A Drag Queen Christmas" and Rupaul's version of "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch."

...and we'll see if I get my hands on the soundtrack to "Brokeback Mountain."

Yes, it's official: I'm won over by "Brokeback Mountain." The state of Wyoming is already fending off rumors of a "Sideways" styled invasion of tourists to see the sites from the movie... which was actually filmed in New Mexico and Alberta, Canada. The towns of Sage, Lightning Flat, and Riverton, however, which figure in the original Annie Proulx story, are real. Sage is on one of main the routes from Utah into Southwestern Wyoming; Lightning Flat, however, the town where Jack was born, raised and buried, is on a little road to nowhere off a minor highway right up alongside the Montana border. Riverton is the one town from the original story that is actually a town with stores, motels, and somewhere to eat... and a number of grocery stores...
(hint, hint).

The January 2006 issue of "American Cinematographer" has an interesting story about how Rodrigo Prieto shot BM. Look for a brief cameo of the cinematographer as the male prostitute in the street in Mexico that Jack meets.

Likewise, the Nov/Dec 2005 issue of "Script" magazine has an interesting backstory on the eight year journey of BM from Annie Proulx's short story to script to the screen.

Last post until after Ex-mash. Ho ho ho, and a bottle of mocha frappuccino!

No comments: